I've been getting home late from work this week, and all of my neighbours seemingly have newborns. This has seriously dented my ability to run my table saw without feeling like a massive jerk. So i went oldschool, wasted a huge amount of time, and did things quietly with hand saws... and so many clamps!
I can't believe people used to work this way!
All of the ribs are now in place, with the bottom stringer ensuring their "squareness". The leading edge panel is also installed, with the first strip of 2.7mm veneer ply. It has a nicer topside grain (ply tends to have a good side). Similar sheets will be applied to both end panels to hide the end-grain of the underlying structure, then the whole outer surface will be getting a steam-bent wrap to make a nice, smoothly curved skin.
The joystick is held in with 6x 12mm panhead screws, and it is snugly centred between two reinforced ribs. I turned the header for the wiring harness forwards.
The zip-ties you see are being used in lieu of a clamp because my soft clamps aren't quite long enough to reach that span.
This is the top view. The spare real estate next to the joystick will be used to house the wiimote, putting the home/start buttons within reach but out of harm's way.
This is the last structural panel going on. The void in the middle is where the removable bottom panel will be, secured by magnets to avoid visible screw heads.
Once the glue is properly cured, it will be time to apply the skin, load up the wiring, and give it a coat of paint. We're on the home stretch, so stay tuned for Part 3!